Law Office of Justin Shane | Special Education Attorney
New York Special Education Attorney

How do I obtain accommodations for my child?



A student's IEP includes all accommodations needed by the child including testing accommodations such as extra time, read-aloud questions or directions, or requirements that the student test in a separate, quiet room.

Alternatively, accommodations may be included in a "504 plan" for a student. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, students with disabilities are entitled to accommodations to meet their unique needs. A "504 plan" functions differently than an IEP, but can often accomplish the same objectives and can provide for testing accommodations including SAT/ACT accommodations.

The Law Office of Justin Shane can assist parents in obtaining accommodations for their students pursuant to these laws.