Law Office of Justin Shane | Special Education Attorney
New York Special Education Attorney

Will I be reimbursed for private school tuition?

Tuition Reimbursement


If the school district fails to offer a FAPE, the parent may enroll their student unilaterally in an appropriate private school and seek tuition reimbursement from the school district. If the school district refuses parents' request for reimbursement, the parent may seek an impartial hearing. An impartial hearing officer will then determine whether the school district offered a FAPE to the student, whether the private school is appropriate for the child, and whether the equities favor reimbursement. A special education attorney can advise parents concerning school placement, initiate the tuition reimbursement process, negotiate settlement with the school district, as well as litigate on parents' behalf at an impartial hearing. 

The Law Office of Justin Shane represents parents who seek private school tuition reimbursement from public school districts.